I suggest you ...

Do not make offline reading require a connection

This seemed nonsensical to suggest, but I had to verify that it actually doesn't happen.

To recreate:

* enable background updates (though this should be irrelevant) and offline reading
* refresh your articles automatically, manually, etc.)
* put device into airplane mode or, say, go into a tunnel on metro
* attempt to open an article; fails (which makes sense, that's not the feature
* hit the "reading mode" icon (sunglasses)
* see a blank page or error about not being able to load the content

I would ask that, even just in the easing view, the app provide an offline raising experience that users expect when they enable offline reading, which is that content be downloaded and accessible anytime the device is offline.

38 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Sean shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminSam (Oakley, Pinner) responded  · 

Hi all,

Sorry that you’re having problems with Pinner.

The scenario that you describe is exactly how Pinner should work, and in my tests it seems to work fine. Let me just clarify a few points with you:

• One of the settings "prefetch X bookmarks " must be enabled for the offline caching to work – with them off, only the content of bookmaker syou open is cached.
    • Offline caching only works with the ‘reader’ mode’

Even taking these into account, are you still experiencing issues? If so, I will investigate further.

Thanks for your time.

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nicola commented  · 

With the new version of the app the reading mode works just fine, except for the images, that are not saved for the offline reading. It is possible to add this feature? Maybe as an option...sometimes are quite important, and it is a pity to lose them

• Ken Weingold commented  · 

Hi, Sam. Thanks for the clarification. The offline caching does indeed work in reader mode. I guess this should somehow be made clearer for people? Default to reader mode if offline? Either way, thanks a lot.

• Nicola commented  · 

Completely agree with the below comment. There are some news about this feature? I want only to understand if I have to search for another client or I can stick to Pinner :\

• Mike H. commented  · 

I entirely agree. I bought Pinner specifically because the descriptions said you "offline reading" is a capability, and now (Sep. 21) discovered that if I don't have a network connection, I can't read articles. This makes no sense to me. In what sense is the current arrangement "offline reading"? If I don't have a network connection, every article I try to read (even in "reading mode" as described above) results in an error about not being able to load content.

Feedback and Knowledge Base